Spring cleaning typically means that homeowners have a long list of chores to do. You start with vacuuming every nook and cranny, cleaning the fridge and a deep clean of the oven, to mopping all the floors! Not all of us enjoy this, but we all appreciate how good a house looks after a spring cleaning!
This year, please add these essential HVAC spring cleaning tasks to your to-do list.
- Clean the outdoor air conditioner unit, dirt and debris can limit airflow so it’s important to do clear debris before you turn on your air conditioner. Make sure the unit is shut off, then vacuum the fins and remove any overgrown plants/shrubs around the unit.
- Then check inside by turning the Air Conditioning on, make sure that cool air is coming out of the vents and that you hear no unusual sounds.
- Check and replace your filters regularly. Some filters, like HEPA filters, can be cleaned every six months with a vacuum, while others, like disposable filters, will need to be replaced every 1-2 months, depending on your home’s allergens.
- Clean out your dehumidifier by removing the hose and letting it dry out completely, then vacuum out the unit.
- Clean your return air vents with a vacuum, and if you can use a Q-Tip to get in the corners and all the cracks.
- Vacuum all floor registers by removing the vent, while the vent is off vacuum as much of the exposed duct as you can. Also, wash the vents in soapy water and clean it with a brush or sponge, make sure they are completely dry before putting them back on.